AWS Releases Open Source Visual Studio Tools
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is now offering open source tools for Microsoft's Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) at no charge.
The new offering is available in the Visual Studio Marketplace. It's described as: "Tasks for Amazon S3, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS CodeDeploy, AWS Lambda and AWS CloudFormation and more, and running commands in the AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell module and the AWS CLI."
"You can use these tasks in build and release pipelines hosted within VSTS and Team Foundation Server to interact with AWS services," AWS said in a blog post last week.
Specifically, the marketplace entry says it lets developers do tasks such as:
- Create an AWS credentials connection
- Transfer files to and from Amazon S3 buckets
- Deploy .NET Core serverless applications or standalone functions to AWS Lambda
- Invoke an AWS Lambda function
- Create/update AWS CloudFormation stacks
- Deploy to AWS Elastic Beanstalk
- Deploy to Amazon EC2 with AWS CodeDeploy
- Send a message to a Simple Notification Service Topic or Simple Queue Service Queue
- Run AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell scripts
- Run AWS CLI commands
The AWS post detailed how to configure and use a task, and promised more guidance to come in future posts.
The open source code for the tools package can be found on GitHub, where AWS asked developers to provide feedback on the project.
About the Author
David Ramel is an editor and writer for Converge360.